Quick Start Guide to Downloading e-Books
To borrow books through Axis 360 you will have to register when you check out your first book. All you need is your student number (teachers use your email address before the @ symbol), a name, email address and password so signing up is quick and easy.
You can check out books for a 2 week loan period. The books can be returned earlier if you are finished with them.
The Magic Wall
The Magic Wall is where you browse and borrow e-books in our collection. It allows you to filter by Featured Titles, Fiction, Non-Fiction, Teen and Children’s as well as Just Added, Recently Returned, Most Popular and Hidden Gems. There is also a search box if you are after a particular title or you can browse by subject.
At the top of the left hand side menu you have the option to filter by available titles (this excludes any items that are already on loan), e-book or e-audiobook.
You can click on the cover images for more information about the books, to checkout a title or to check availability. If a book is currently out on loan you will have the option to reserve it. While we cannot give an exact date as to when titles will be available again for loan you will be sent an email when the title becomes available. Reserves on e-books are free.
Some titles have extra information such as a synopsis or reviews as well as recommendations of similar books you may be interested in.
To borrow a book, select your preferred format and ‘Checkout Now’. (directions on choosing a format below)
On your first check out you will be asked to enter your library number (lunch number/staff email) and email address and if you have selected Blio format you will be will be prompted to register for the Blio e-book reader.
If you are using an e-Reader
If you have a dedicated e-reader then you are probably already using Adobe Digital editions and ePub.
If you are using a tablet or smartphone
You will be able to download either the Blio or Axis Reader apps to your device to read e-books. Axis allows you to “shop” for books within the application.
If you are using a computer
You will need to download either Adobe Digital Editions.
The e-books in our collection are in ePub and Blio formats. ePub is the most flexible of the e-book formats. If you already have a preferred e-reader ePub is compatible with most e-readers, tablets or smartphones. They are not compatible with Cocoon e-readers or Kindles, with the exception of the Kindle Fire or Kindle Paperwhite tablets.
There are two apps that we recommend that you use to borrow and read e-books on your device. Both apps are free and are available from both the Apple app store and Google Play.
1. Blio e-books are available in both Blio and ePub formats. If you borrow a book in the Blio format you will need to download either the Blio app for a mobile device or the Blio software for a computer.
2. Axis Reader allows you to browse and borrow e-books from the collection directly from your device. Axis Reader displays the Magic Wall and is your library ‘book shelf’ where you can select new titles to read on the go. Axis Reader can also be used to read any e-books borrowed in ePub format.
Axis Reader App
To read ePub format you will have to have an Adobe Digital Editions login and password. Most people with e-readers will already have this and it is separate to the username and password you just create for reading in Blio format.
If you do not already have an Adobe ID but would like one to read ePub format books through the Axis Reader app you can create a login when you first open the app or by following the link below:
If you are downloading e-books to your home computer to transfer to an e-reader you will need to download the free Adobe Digital Editions software first. Download links for Windows and Macintosh computers are available here:
Downloading Blio from the Apple App Store
- Go to the Apple App Store and search for Blio. The app is free to download.
- Download and install the app on your device.
- Log in using the email address and password you registered when you borrowed your first book from the Magic Wall.
- The app will update with your account and notify you if you have new loans available to download.
- Go to the Archive tab and tap the circular arrow to download the e-book to your device.
- Go back to your library by tapping ‘done’ and tap the book cover to begin reading.
Downloading Blio from the Google Play Store
- Search for Blio in the Google Play Store. The app is free to download.
- Install and open the app.
- Sign in with the email address and password you registered with when you borrowed your first book from the Magic Wall.
- You loans will appear. Tap the ‘Download’ option next to your loans to download the titles to your device.
- Tap the cover to start reading.
- Downloading Axis Reader from the Apple and Google Play stores
- Search for Axis Reader in the Google Play or Apple store – the following steps are the same for both stores.
- Install and open the app
- Sign in with your Adobe Digital Editions account to authorise your device OR
- Tap ‘Create a free Adobe ID’ and follow the steps
Borrowing e-books in Axis Reader
- Tap ‘Find a Library’
- Search for Paul R Smith Middle School (hint: tapping the + sign adds us to ‘Your Libraries’ so you don’t have to search for us again next time)
- Select a title from the Magic Wall
- Select ePub format
- Tap ‘Download’
- Tap ‘My Bookshelf’
- Your book will appear. Tap the cover to open the book and swipe from right to left to turn the pages.
- To delete the title once you are done, tap the rubbish bin in top right corner of your screen, then tap the red circle and confirm by tapping ‘delete’.
Returning books in Axis 360
- If you have finished a book in Axis 360 and would like to return it off your card as well as removing it from your device, tap the small gear shaped icon at the top of your screen.
- Under ‘View Settings’ select ‘List View’
- Tap ‘Done’
- To the right of each title you will see an information icon.
- Tapping the information icon will bring up information about the title, including the option to ‘Return Item’
- Confirm the return and the title will be removed from your device and account.
If you have additional questions or need more assistance with any of these steps, Please contact Anclote Media Center and we will be glad to assist you!
You can also access the Axis 360 YouTube channel for tutorials at